Basic Warm Up for All!
This is a
Warmup pattern from
This is a basic warm up that I use for any cardio classes as well as strength classes as it gets all the majors muscles and joints moving and ready to go!
- March in place and take 3 or 4 deep breaths taking arms up over head on inhale and down to sides on exhale (8 counts each breath)
- Legs keep marching in place and now add an overhead press from shoulders to arms straight up (8)
- Legs keep marching in place and now change arms to press out in front of chest, like an air push up (8)
- Legs keep marching in place and now change arms to press out to sides at shoulder height (8)
- March in place with arms pumping with march and cue to engage core while standing tall (8)
- High knee lifts (8)
- Hamstring curls (8)
- Plant feet wide apart and shift weight side to side in lunges getting an inner thigh stretch while warming up quads (16)
- Cue to pause in center and pivot on toes to face the right (8)
- Reach arms overhead and shift weight to front foot while raising onto back toe, then shift weight to back foot and drop heel to floor for dynamic calf stretch while arms come down to sides, repeat and cue "up and reach, down and stretch" (8)
- Cue to bend back knee while pressing hip forward for dynamic hip flexor stretch, cue to ensure they squeeze glutes to press hips forward (8)
- Cue to shift weight to back leg and front heel is an anchor dropping hips down and back to hamstring stretch, then add slow front toe tap (8)
Return to High knee lifts with other leg lead to stretch out other side.
I think the warm up is so important to set the tone of the class. This warm up is basic enough that I can talk to the participants about the format of the class or if it they are all experienced with my teaching style we can chat about the weather or any other hot topics, all while being responsible enough to ensure they are ready to work hard.
at 12:41 AM on Sunday, February 13, 2011 EST.
Add to favorites (view favorites)
From: Alberta (Canada)